Tuesday, October 5, 2010

bah, it's just money.

Once we got back from Paris, we sat down, worked out how much money we had, and a budget. Last night, we set a definitive date when we would have to pack up and run home with our tails between our legs.

That date was defined as October 31st. It's about the only point where we can afford to get back, and still have (some) money to try and settle back in Melbourne.


As of today, I have reaffirmed my belief that recruiters are, more or less, a bunch of useless fucking retards. I believe that in most instances, getting a role through a recruiter in London is nigh-on impossible. It comes down to luck, rather than experience. It's fraught with annoyances, and difficulties, and unreturned calls, and interviews with followups that never come, and job descriptions that change, and recruiters that seem really interested in you, but you never hear from again, etc etc etc.

This is exactly the same thing as I found when I was trying to get a job in Melbourne. the recruiters are useless sacks of shit, who more often than not, have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the industry they are recruiting for.

Rhiannon has found the same thing - recruiters don't listen, don't read, don't pay attention, don't understand what she is saying, and keep trying to put her in teaching roles. One recruiter she was speaking to even told her that recruitment isn't about people, or helping people, it's about money. It's all they care about.

I should note at this point, that when I got my job in Melbourne, it wasn't through a recruiter.
I should also note, that the phone call I received this morning, offering me a job, was not through a recruiter. This all confirms my opinion that recruiters are all a bunch of cockheads, who don't really recognise talent, and do not listen to candidates.

Either way, our deadline has now been extended, as I accepted the job, and start tomorrow morning.... It's a very definitive pay cut, in fact, it's cutting back as far as my second year for the Government, but that's ok. I really liked the working environment, and think it's going to be a great job. I always knew I'd get paid less here.

1 comment:

  1. So if I understand this correctly, you have a slight dislike for recruiters? :-)

    ReplyDelete