Thursday, June 24, 2010

Changes

I've been a little bereft on posts recently. Mainly because I've been lazy about writing them, but they are all being backdated appropriately, so keep on checking.

I've been spending time on doing a little bit of web design, and I sat and passed an exam. I'm now a Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional: Systems Administrator (MCITP:SA) to add to my mcsa certification, which means I've got something to show at least for the past few months. Considering I took the exam on the spur of the minute, having not done heaps of study for it, I'm quite pleased that I passed. It's been a while since I did the mcsa course.


That exam came only one day before my only stint of work since February - 5 hours doing a desktop rollout job in central London. Still, It's better than nothing - it was good to actually do some work again, no matter how simple it was.

I've also been trying to find ways to increase the google Adsense paywords on this page, but not having huge effect so far. I've moved the ads, tried to make them blend in more. I'm also playing with top paying keywords. Let's see how it goes. I've also added a whole slideshow thinggy from Flickr over there on the right, it'll randomly go through all the photos in our slideshow. You can click on them at any time, and it will open in a new window.


This slideshow, and the flickr uploading, has led me to notice however, that we've collected an insane amount of photos in only a few short months. And this leaves me wandering how I can back them all up. What is really concerning me is the theft of the portable hard drive, or the laptop. Or potentially worse, the failure of one of the drives, requiring the need for expensive data recovery. Clearly, our photos are important to us.

I could arrange some dedicated server hosting, by which I mean dedicated windows hosting. But then I'd need to sort out domain name availability and things like that. However, I'm talking 5GB of photos here. So it would end up being expensive dedicated server hosting, and probably beyond our needs.

I thought about a dedicated web host. But then I'd need to again, find domain name availability, set up the site, load all the photos, and find up to 5GB. I have chosen to put a whole heap on flickr, but we've got even more than that.

I'm probably talking about dedicated offsite backup solutions. But eventually, we decided to just burn all the photos onto a DVD (well, two DVDs) and they are winging their way back home to our respective parents. It'll take a good few hours to sit through all those photos.. :)

2 comments:

  1. Andy, Andy, Andy. Tut tut tut. I am surprised you haven't thought of the simple alternative. You have 5GB of photos/images. How much does a DVD or 10 cost? Burn 3 or 4 copies and then post 2 sets back to effing cold Melbourne, insure them if necessary to make sure they get there. You could also get an SD card and pop the images onto there. The alternative media is obviously all stored in different locations so if the Pommy Bastards (Bazza Mackenzie quote) hit you with their light fingers then all is not lost. DVD sent home is the best solution IMO (nothing Humble about me). :)

    Please make out the cheque for my brilliant suggestions to Biggles77 at Petri.co.il/forums

    Do you realise how long you have been away now? Goes quick eh!! Enjoy. Also suggest you get the names of some largish IT firms or jobs done along with some names of managers so you can "pad" your OE (Overseas Experience) IT time. Makes you more desirable upon returning to Melb. Obviously do NOT post this comment in tat case. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. heheh.. I did indeed mail them home, one copy to each set of parents. Data Dedup ftl :P

    This post was mainly aimed at getting some different google adword keys..

    ReplyDelete