Saturday, December 18, 2010

I'm dreaming of a white christmas...

Well, not dreaming so much, because it's looking like becoming a reality. I got up this morning at around 10am, it was snowing. It continued to snow for at least 3 hours. And not just a light shower.


On the basis of the ledge outside our window, we've had about 5-7cm of snow. I, of course, went running outside once it stopped like a little kid with this gigantic big grin on my face.

What I noticed in particular is just how quiet it was. I think snow really does deaden sound. Anyway. I got myself out onto the road, and a couple of cars had probably driven along, because there was some compacted snow - not mushy shitty stuff, but compacted, that, in different shoes, would have been good to just slide along.

As I walked down the street, I saw other people out playin around, making snowballs and throwing them at each other, all the usual things. I'm told it's very unusual for it to snow at all before January, and almost unheard of for it to snow in London, and especially not the depth we've had.

I've got some photos that I'll upload onto flickr later - I had a good old amble all the way down the high road (mushy, yucky, shitty black icey snow across the roads) past the closed train stations, (both overground and jubilee) and into the park on the Camden side of the road.


Again, lots of kids, and even some older kids, making gigantic big snowballs, snow men, all the usual. (And, in one case, a large snow penis. Yes, really.)

Even now, it's 9 at night, and it hasn't snowed for a while, but it's so bright outside - the sky is much ligher than normal, it's like there's a light on up there or something. And it has a weird coloured tinge.

All in all, I'm hoping we do get some more snow, maybe even on christmas day itself.

(Oh and wait till you hear about our planned christmas day feast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment