Thursday, April 8, 2010

I prefer Scotch...

... whisky :)

We went to the Old Jameson Distillery today. Figured I really should know how whiskey/whisky (they spell the Irish ones with an 'e') is made.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Jameson. I'd tried it before and came away with the comment "It tastes like water." The tour was fantastic, though. Very interesting and definitely worth the entrance fee. I even got to find out why it doesn't have much flavour... They distill it three times to make it very pure. Although, I still don't get why other similar drinks that are distilled thrice have a stronger flavour... must be something to do with the earlier stage and how they treat the barley.

We also got a good sized drink at the end. Thought that we may have to drink it straight, which I'm not great at, but got the choice of straight, with coke, with cranberry juice or with ginger ale. I, as usual, chose coke and Andy decided upon ginger ale... which wasn't bad, either. Unfortunately, as they're so proud of proclaiming throughout the tour, Jameson has a very mild taste so all I could really taste was the coke... I'll stick with scotch!

1 comment: