Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Irony...

never ceases. This week-end is, obviously, the Easter weekend. And we'd planned to go away, up to the Isle Of Man, and then over to Belfast, and then around Ireland. I'll tell you more about this in future posts, however we haven't really planned much beyond the IOM transport and accommodation, which is possibly a good thing....




You see, while Rhiannon has been working away, making money for us to survive, I have been alternating between sleeping, getting frustrated and bored, and applying manically for jobs. These applications have, for the most part, gotten me nowhere.

Oh sure, I've had calls from recruiters, and I've called recruiters, and followed up, and found a few options that, at the time, seemed like positive leads. However for the most part, they have all petered out to nothingness.

Cue this morning, and I received a call from an agent, for an immediate start role. It's a Service Desk Role, but hey that's ok - it sounds like a fun, interesting job, and it's paying within my range. The agent sounded very keen and wanted to push me across. Sure Sure, I've heard this before. So he did, and I went on with my day, sleeping, watching tv episodes, the usual.
Over the course of about 15 minutes, he called me 3 times to clarify some information, and the one question I haven't yet been asked: "Would you use an umbrella company, and do you have one" That in itself sounded good, but I continued to not really be too fussed.

About 3pm, I got another call from the same agent. "This has moved a bit faster than I expected - can you interview this afternoon at 4:30?" Sure thing! So, of I went to my interview. First thing I did was as test, and got 34.5/40 which isn't toooo shabby, but could be better. They seemed impressed though. The interview seemed mainly focussed on my previous experience, and a short discussion on what the team does. It ended with "and if I asked you to start on Tuesday, would you have any problems with that?"

Well, Yes, we planned on going to Ireland.. but no, we haven't planned or booked any of that. So the irony is, after 4 weeks of trying frantically to get a job to amuse myself, now that I'm in a position to go "well, I don't care, I'm going to Ireland for 2 weeks" I may end up with a job.

Ultimately - if I don't get the role, I won't be upset, because at least the next 2 weeks won't be boring. However, if I do, I also won't be disappointed because, to be honest, I miss working. I miss the challenges, and the puzzles.. and the structure, and having things to do...

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA.. I can completely relate! Took us 4 months to get a job. And only got a job just as i planned to go to the beach and go to the theme parks again, none of which i ended up getting to do because i had to start working. At least i had a job thou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So right now i'm sitting on the Isle of Man - and it turns out our phones don't work. We knew they didn't roam in Europe, but this is the UK FFS!
    They can't even ring me to tell me if I get the job !

    ReplyDelete